Following the SEO (search engine optimisation) best practices outlined below will make it easier for search engines to crawl, index and understand your content.
Our Target for SEO
Natural or ‘Organic’ search engine results are displayed in certain areas on a search engine results page, by using good SEO techniques you can get to the top of the search engines, but not the very top as this space is reserved exclusively for the search engine themselves this is how they make money.
When you click on any of the greyed out areas in the image to the right you are costing someone money and lining the pockets of the search engine, in this case google.
Our main target is google as they have the lions share of the Internets searches performed in the western world, The practises that I suggest will work well for all search engines.
Page titles are very important to get correct, they should be accurate to the content and your target audience.
- Create unique Titles for each page of your website.
- Keep Titles to within 70 characters.
- People searching for a ‘red hat’ if your title is Clothing | Red Hats for you Red Hat will be bold and stand out to the person searching.
- Keep it simple and as descriptive as you can, if you add Hats | Cheap Red Hats | Bargin Best Hat Shop then you have mentioned hats too many times (keyword stuffing) and if you do not have the words cheap, red, bargain, best, then you are wasting words.
- If you run out of things to add then add your location or business name.
SEO is pretty straightforward for Title tags, spend time to get them right as they hold a lot of weight with the search engines.
Description Meta Tag for SEO
A page’s description meta tag gives search engines a summary of what the page is about. A page’s description meta tag might be a sentence or two or a short paragraph.
A search engine will not always use this description that you add it might use a snippet of the wording from your page itself, but if relevant then it is more likely to be used, what it does if give a search engine the description of what the subject matter is about.
In other search engines other than Google and directory’s this will be used and when people like your page from social media then it will nearly always use the description.
* Importand recommended description length 155 characters.